Saturday, November 12, 2011

Totally Free DIY toy box

Once again I got my inspiration from Pintrest! I kept seeing all the projects that use scrapbook paper and mod podge and got to thinking...what if I used my scrapbook paper and gel medium to cover the hideous diaper box I use for toy storage?? Genius!!

MY PINTREST INSPIRATION

BEFORE

AFTER!


Supplies
Sponge brush
Golden's Gel Medium (mod podge would work too)
Ugly Box
6 pieces of 12x12 Scrapbook Paper (more if your box is bigger, less if box is smaller)
Scissors (I used heavy duty kitchen scissors)
Optional: Tape, quilt rolly cutter thing, metal ruler, and cutting mat (exacto knife would work too)

Steps

 


Empty box and cut off lid flaps











Select 6 pages of 12x12 scrapbooking paper. Fold in 1/2 and use metal ruler, rolly cutter and mat to cut a few at a time to cut quickly. I do not recommend laying all 6 pieces down and cutting at once :-) You do what you want though. Using scissors is totally fine too. The lazy way (which is how I made this box the first time) is to not cut the paper at all until you put the trim on and just use each whole page.)









 
Set 1 whole page aside for the trim at the end. Make a plan using the 10 remaining halves. Be sure the 1st and last page are not the same print! All 10 halves will be used for this size of box!






Put a layer of glue on box and smooth out desired paper lining the paper up with the bottom of the box. I didn't want the paper to start on a flat side thus why I glued the first piece around the corner. (I did not coat the top of the paper with glue until I was finished putting all the paper down.)







Each piece thereafter should overlap the previous piece just a bit.













When you get to the handle, go ahead and glue like before. Then use scissors or exacto to cut the handle off from the inside of the box. I then cut through the middle of the handle hole as seen here.



















Using fingers and the glue, wipe glue on box and paper and continue smoothing paper with glue until it dries and sticks to box. You may have to hold it a few seconds.







Take the 2 halves of paper that you saved for the trim and fold each in half. Open the fold and fold each half in half again to end up with 4 equal strips. Only 5 1/2 of the 8 are needed. Cut 5 1/2 strips and tape end to end. Trim ends as needed to look even.







 Put glue down and smooth paper over all the way around the top. You may end up with parts of the top showing. You can cut it even when everything is dry.

Use glue and brush to "paint" glue on top of all paper! Don't miss any spots especially around the bottom edge. The paper will get tiny tears if you do miss any spots! (Not that I know from experience or anything ;-)



Let it dry then it's ready for use! Easy peezy lemon-squeesy! This does take about an hour from start to finish and without interruption! The box below was my 1st go-'round. I like it way better with paper halves instead of whole sheets. Whole sheets are way faster though!

No comments:

Post a Comment