Sunday, January 24, 2010

The Sunday Review

As promised in my last post, I will be reviewing the recipe Cookie Dough Hummus and facial product Olay Daily Facial Cleansing Cloths. I am also going to review the movie Coraline.

Cookie Dough Hummus


The only ingredient I did not use was the ground flax seed. I didn't know what it was nor could I find it. It was very easy to make and tasted REALLY good. If you like oatmeal or to dip your apples in something good, you will love this recipe. I used a 1/2 cup of unsweetened applesauce b/c 1/4 did not seem like enough. I used two prepackaged applesauce cups. It makes a lot and nearly lasted through 2 packages of the presliced Granny Smith apples. It's very healthy too! I will definitely be making this again.

Yields 2 1/2 cups or 20 servings and is 33 calories per serving
Ingredients
* 1 cup hot water
* 1 tablespoon raisins
* 1 pinch ground cinnamon
* 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
* 1 1/2 tablespoons peanut butter
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1 teaspoon maple syrup
* 1/2 teaspoon canola oil
* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
* 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
* 1 tablespoon instant oatmeal (I used maple and brown sugar.)
* 1 tablespoon shredded coconut

Directions

1. Pour the hot water over the raisins and cinnamon. Let stand for 10 minutes, then drain, and set aside.
2. Place the applesauce, peanut butter, vanilla extract, maple syrup, canola oil, and ground flax seed in the bowl of a food processor; process until smooth. With the motor running, slowly add the garbanzo beans, drained raisins, instant oatmeal, and coconut. Process until the mixture is smooth or to your desired consistency.

Easy to make *****
Taste ****1/2

Olay Daily Facial Cleansing Cloths

I was using Equates Daily Facial Cleansing Cloths, but they felt more like baby wipes. I didn't like the idea of using baby wipes on my face. I'm pretty lazy when it comes to washing my face before bed. I like the already-wet cloths that allow you to just wipe off makeup and go to bed. The Olay cloths do not allow this. They are dry! I had to add water, scrub, rinse the cloth, scrub some more, etc. It was not a quick process. The product comes with 60 cloths!! They can be cut in half b/c a whole cloth is really to much. I'm set for several months, but they are NOT convenient :-( I have to say they clean exceptionally well. My face feels great after using them, but the process stinks! I might as well just use my regular cleanser. Lesson learned - read all the info first!! I know Fructis makes a wet facial cloth that my friend Tanja uses and loves. I guess I'll be trying that one when I FINALLY run out of the Olays!

Ease of use **1/2
Cleanliness of skin *****

Coraline

Coraline is a Tim Burton film. He's the same creator of Nightmare Before Christmas and Corpse Bride. I REALLY liked this movie. I showed it in my classroom for our 3rd 6-weeks reward movie. They really liked it. Most of the kids had not seen it. I guess because Tim Burton's movies are kinda out there and only appeal to a certain crowd. I would not recommend this movie for kids under 9 or 10. I had 13 year-olds that were cringing and jumping at different parts. I would say it's not for the young'ens. It was funny, scary, unpredictable and non-fairytale. Loved it!

Kid friendly **1/2
Funny and Kid Scary *****